Sunday, April 7, 2013

Body Aches: It's Hot Room Time!

I've been practicing Bikram Yoga since June 2009. My very first 90 minutes were overwhelmingly hot and sweaty. But nothing compares to what I felt after I left the hot room. I came back the next day, and the rest is history. My practice has been bouncing up and down for the past 4 years. I've done four 30-day challenges so far. At this point I am not up for another challenge. I would have to come to 6:00AM classes during the week to accomplish this, and I am not sure I am there right now. I have had 3-week absences from the hot room. Once of my friends said that I am a "binger and a purger." My excuse is that I am too tired to make the commitment. I just want to chill and not do anything once I get home. My work schedule has been killing me lately. But you know what, the body does not take immobility lightly. It needs to stretch and flex. The blood needs to circulate everywhere. The joints need to move, be used. When these things don't happen, it cries out. Loud. Suddenly, getting up in the morning is slow and painful. The muscles start seizing up. All of these happened to me this week. So despite the temptation to sleep in and chill out this weekend, I got up at 7:00AM and made my journey back to the hot room. I felt nervous, concerned that the absence will manifest itself by not performing well, by not being able to do the full expression of the postures. Surprisingly though, while some postures were challenging, overall my practice this weekend turned out great. There is nothing more exhilarating and energizing than a hot, sweaty, vigorous 90 minute yoga practice. My day is set. So there. If you have been absent from class, do not be afraid to come back and start over. No one else will judge you. The people around you have their own issues to get through. What's important is for you to be mindful of what your body is telling you. We need to slow down and look after ourselves. Once you've done that, you will touch the next person in a positive way. Namaste. Good day, Mommy. I love you.

No comments: