Friday, November 5, 2010

The Gift That Keeps On Giving

I discovered this yoga 17 months ago, and while I have had my lazy/not wanting to go days, I find myself being drawn to the hot room. What is it that brings me back to that hot, humid, sweaty, smelly room and be "tortured" for 90 minutes. I sound like a broken record each time I write this, but it is true. After that 90 minute torture, I feel like a million bucks. A bonus for me is that since I have not been taking water during class for the past 8 months, that first sip of Emergen-C spiked water feels like heaven. Another bonus is having to shower off all that sweat, cool off, and that million-dollar feeling is complete.

I consider this yoga as a gift that keeps on giving. I continue to share my experience outside the hot room and the studio. I have a bounce in my step, and my posture is very good. I share my blog entries to my friends and family, and I am ecstatic to hear that I have inspired some of them to try Bikram Yoga or for those who are already practicing, to continue to do so. For those who have tried it and conclude that it is not the workout for them, I still feel grateful that they did try. I am still hoping that one of my colleagues will one day overcome her fear of the heat and come with me to class.

I am in awe of my fellow yogis who are in their fifties and sixties. They look great and I admire their determination to keep up with, and/or inspire, the twenty-, thirty-, and forty-somethings to keep up with them! :) I will age, but I would like to do so gracefully, and I intend to keep practicing until I can no longer stand. If I can be a good example on how one can continue to feel young, then I know that I have given the best gift, the one that keeps on giving. Namaste.

Good night, Mommy. I love you.

4 comments:

zenasmillet said...

Hi Lorrena,
I hurt my back last week carrying marking home so I didn't go back to the studio until the Friday 6am class. I couldn't wait to get back! The class was different because my back was tense. I took it easy when it felt painful. Afterwards I felt rejuvenated and stronger. This practice never ceases to amaze me. Just when you think you shouldn't be there it really helps you out.

Hope you're keeping well.

Sondra

YoginiBear said...

Oh no! I hope your back is on its way to a full and quick recovery! We are all keeping well and I hope to practice with you soon!

Unknown said...

Hi Lorrena,
I have been practicing just over 6 months now, and feel like it has become part of my life. I, too, would like to keep practicing til I can no longer stand. I love making progress, and realizing that I just did something with my body that 6 months ago I would never have believed I could do. I love that the tension ache in my upper back and shoulders is gone. I love how fast the 90 minutes go by. I love that I am in my fifties, and could begin a new journey to a sound mind and body. I love yoga.

YoginiBear said...

Hi Megan,
Thank you for your thoughts and for taking the time to read my posts! Isn't this yoga amazing? I still look back to when I first started practicing, and marvel at how far I've come along. I love our little chats at work :) I hope we can practice together soon!