Thursday, February 3, 2011

A New Challenge: Practicing with a Tennis Elbow

I am not a tennis player. My Dad was, and an avid one at that, until he reached his 80s and realised that he could no longer run as fast as he should in order to return the ball. When I was a teenager, he would take me with him to the courts on Sundays. I didn't get the chance to watch him play competitively, though. Basically, this Sunday ritual was his way of keeping fit. He also hoped that I would take on the sport. I was not made for tennis, rather, I preferred to play volleyball.

Last Sunday, while preparing supper, I acquired this tennis elbow. That really hurt. I've never had an injury this bad before, considering that I was a very active kid. I was worried that my yoga practice will be put on hold during the healing process.

I saw my doctor and he advised me to wear a brace. I also asked my yoga buddy/instructor B. if I could still practice, and she said that it's okay to do so as long as I take it easy. I felt so relieved! I can't imagine myself not practicing, and I do know that I will terribly miss it.

I practiced yesterday and today, wearing the brace. I took it really easy yesterday. The postures I went easy on were the Half Moon, Eagle, Locust, and Rabbit. The Rabbit posture hurt the most. Today, I decided to push myself a little bit, and I made some progress with these postures. I listened to my elbow, and backed off when I had to.

When we were in Savasana today, our instructor C. said that we kill ourselves for 90 minutes in the hot room so we can feel great AFTER. Yeah, she hit the nail right on the head. No pain, no gain. It's all good. I've never been more inspired to continue practicing. Even with this injury. Anything is possible. Namaste.

Good night, Mommy. I love you.

No comments: