Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Patience and Pacing

By "pacing" I meant taking your time, not the nervous back and forth walking. It's like long-distance running where you should not expel all your energy from the get-go. It's all about having a strong finish.

This was what my practice today was like. I am still nursing a sore throat, which was a little worse compared to yesterday. When Pranayama breathing started, I could not give it my all. I felt tired. There were a lot of bodies in the room. It was hot. I was thankful to be at the back, by the door. I was sweating from the get-go. I had doubts about my staying power. I had thought about why I even showed up today. I should have stayed home and rested. I was buoyed by my strong practice yesterday that I had assumed it would be the same today. How many times have I blogged about no practices being the same, day in and day out?

There were three newbies in class today. Teacher N. advised them to take it easy, and to pace themselves. I took those words to heart. I'm not a newbie, but since I am not 100% well, I thought better to focus on the integrity of the form for each posture, and worry about depth later.

By the time the last lap was to be run, I still had lots of energy left. I noticed that the sore throat was kept at bay the whole time. Even without my water bottle (still) close at hand. Patience and pacing surely paid off today.

Good night, Mommy. I love you.

No comments: