Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday, June 7, 2010 = Mommy's 40th Day

Today, I forgot about ME, and instead I focused on my mother. This day marks the 40th day since she passed away. You might ask, what the significance of 40 days is. It is a belief in my culture that after the 40th day, the soul of a loved one will be crossing over to Heaven. During these 40 days, we also refrain from wearing bright colours as this is also considered the mourning period. I have limited my wardrobe to black, white, brown, beige, tan, deep purple, navy blue. Some people do this for a year. I remember Mommy wearing nothing but the above (save for the purple) when my Lolo (her father, my grandfather) passed away many years ago.

When we arrived in Nanaimo, it was pouring buckets. I thought, oh dear, it's going to be a soggy visit to the cemetery. But once we got there, it was glorious sunshine. I'm thinking that Mommy must have a lot of pull with the Gods to stop the rain. It stayed that way until we left her, then the clouds started to roll in again. I said a little prayer that it won't be a rainy drive home to Victoria. It wasn't.

Thank you, Mommy. I miss you so much, and I am very sad that you're gone, that I won't ever kiss your lovely face every time I visit you. But I take comfort from knowing that you will always be with us, the family whom you loved and cherished with all your heart.

Good night, Mommy. I love you.

No comments: