Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - Payback for 11 Days of No Yoga!

Yes, I was AWOL from yoga for 11 days. I just didn't feel like going. I did not want to leave my bed for the 6:00AM class during the week. I didn't even get up for the 7:30AM class for the past two Sundays. I have no excuses; I suffered from a spell of being sedentary.

So today, being a Wednesday and my regular day off, I vowed to resume my practice. I had the pleasure in meeting a new teacher, Christian, whom I heard is from Vancouver. He was great! Great energy, lots of laughs, lots of jokes, and lots and lots of encouragement and words of wisdom. Oh but OMG!!!it was a HOT one today (later I learned the thermostat registered at 117 degrees at the end of the class!!!). It was a very busy class, and there were only a few inches between me and my neighbours. I was out of breath towards the end of the first set of Pranayama, and all throughout the second set as well. I tanked during the second set of Standing Bow Pulling, I only managed one leg, yes, ONE LEG (basically 1/2 of the first set) of Balancing Stick. I just tanked during the Standing Series...period. The 2 minute Savasana was such a welcome respite! I thought about leaving the room, AND fetching my water bottle. Staying in the room has never been an issue for me, ever, and now, I was pretty close to making that escape. I've stopped drinking during class for the past 3 months. But you know, the mind is a powerful thing, and I could have allowed it to rule over me. It was telling me to leave, to go and get that water bottle, to have some fresh air and cool down. But then I thought, I've come this far, why leave now? By leaving the room, I would have thrown away today's practice. I needed to come today. For the past week, I could feel my body protesting already. Every morning when I wake up, then get up to start my day, I don't feel as alive as I would like to. I don't remember feeling this way when I was doing the 30 Day Challenge. Back then I felt rejuvenated, alive AND kicking. I need to feel that way again.

The thing with this yoga is, when it is all over, you just feel absolutely great! Somehow you are rewarded with this, and so you should, after being in that hot room for 90 minutes. And this great feeling lasts and lasts, keeps you coming back for more. Yes, even if sometimes you don't feel like coming. But you do return.

Good night, Mommy. I love you.

No comments: