Saturday, June 26, 2010

Saturday, June 26, 2010

On a rare Saturday day off, I looked forward to my second practice of the week. I anticipated a much improved one today, with the dreaded "first-day-back-after-being-away-for-11-days" delegated to the history books, so to speak. After going through Pranayama without a hitch, I knew it would be a good one today.

The Standing Series was okay, but then again, it seems that I fare better at the Floor Series. I am guessing it's because my knees are not as strong as they should be. I was pretty active in sports, particularly volleyball, and I wonder how much damage my knee joints incurred with those sudden stops and jumps. But, as I am intent on practicing this yoga until I can no longer stand, I am confident that my knees will eventually regain their strength. One thing I have noticed is how much back strength I have gained since I started my practice a year ago. I was very pleased with my Full Locust today. Who would have thought that a few centimetres of improvement would matter so much? Or holding a posture a few seconds longer would elicit a feeling of fulfillment?

During the 2-minute Savasana, I thought about my mother, whom I miss so much. I take the opportunity to think about her during this time, as there is nothing else that would distract me. It is just the two of us. Life goes on; mine is quite busy with work and raising a family. I sometimes forget to acknowledge her when life passes by so quickly. And so, during Savasana, I offer her a few precious seconds to let her know that I will always cherish her memory.

Good night, Mommy. I love you.

No comments: