Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Gearing Up for the 30

Can't believe April is upon us soon. Yes, I am gearing up for my 30 Day Challenge beginning Friday, April 1st. No, I am not a fool...okay I am. At least this is what my colleague Karen thinks. I am still trying to get her into the hot room with me. And boy, she is a hard nut to crack.

Anyway, yes, I've decided to do another challenge. My last one was in April 2010, and I have decided to make it an annual challenge. My practice has been quite regular recently so I am ready to rock and roll. I have also gone to a few 6:00AM classes. I would also like to vary the times when I practice, i.e., go to afternoon or evening classes as well.

Why do a challenge, you may ask? What is the purpose of the challenge? At one point, my hubby thought that this is a competition of some sort, like an ego booster, which is contrary to the essence of yoga. Well, okay, it may appear to be THAT, but speaking for myself, I consider it as a means to discover what my body is capable of when subjected to a CHALLENGE. It is not just a physical challenge; it is also a mental challenge. I think it's more mental than physical. The postures require you to concentrate and meditate, blocking any distractions, be it an itch here, a hair out of place there (physical), a bad day at the office, traffic, cranky kids (mental). Bikram Choudhury himself said, "Let no one steal your peace". So, so true.

Looking back from the challenge I completed last year, I remember feeling a sense of accomplishment, also reveling at how transformed I was physically and mentally. To be brutally frank, I love myself more, I just feel more beautiful, sexy, inside and out.

Good night, Mommy. I love you.

No comments: