Friday, March 25, 2011

Just Another Challenge...

No, not the 30 Day kind, but rather, one that involves the female anatomy. Yesterday afternoon, my head ached for some reason. It might have been that I've had my contact lenses on for too long, or maybe I haven't hydrated enough after class, or it could be that extra cup of coffee which I don't normally take. A trip to the bathroom solved the mystery...the monthly curse has been cast upon me. Shoot. I had bought a cute bottom from Mika Yoga Wear, the colour of pale lavender (officially labeled "Orchid") that I was looking forward to wearing today. Scratch that idea. Out comes the black shorts, perfect for "that time of the month".

I woke up this morning, that headache now diminished a little, and monkey mind pipes in, "Maybe you should not practice this morning, maybe wait a few hours and go this evening". Ugh. Evenings are reserved for my hubby and kiddie. I want to play Monopoly with them again tonight. As much as I would love to go to evening classes, just for a change, I must admit that I shut down in the evening. Anyway, monkey mind lost this battle, and off I go into the black morning and onward ho to the ol' studio.

Upon arrival, with our instructor J.'s happy smiling face greeting me, I decided to park my mat by the door this time. It's good to switch places just for a change of scenery, so to speak. Well, okay, it's really because of "that time of the month" and I'm not really feeling up to par. I would like to be able to enjoy a few drafts from the gap under the door. Anyway, it's usually pretty quiet during the 6:00AM class. About maybe 20 tops. But lo and behold, the room was close to packed; someone thought there were 30! Very unusual for 6:00AM, but I am not complaining. Having more people means more energy. Who does not like more energy, right?

So, the practice is still going strong. During Savasana, I was thinking about my progress. It feels as if I have hit a plateau. Sure, I recognize my limitations. I may not be able to execute a Standing Bow Pulling Pose with the raised leg pointing straight up to the ceiling. I may not even be able to hold the Standing Head to Knee for the full count. However, I pulled myself back to earth, and thought about what Bikram said, that there is no yoga-DO, only yoga-TRY. Yoga-TRY is all I can do. Who knows, I may have the biggest surprise of my life yet! Namaste.

Good night, Mommy. I love you.

PS: Headache is gone.

No comments: