Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 18 = Not Even a Sunny Day Will Keep Me Away From the Hot Room!

Day 18 - April 18, 2010 - 7:30AM with Abbey

It's nice to practice first thing in the morning, that way you have the rest of the day to do other things, especially on a sunny day. Our daughter was away on a sleepover, so after hubby and I finished breakfast, we did our weekend cleanup before heading out to the hardware store (not my cup of kombucha tea!). We tried a Naanwich and had ice cream for afters. See how perfectly my day turned out, with yoga practice first thing?

Now on to the not-so-hot room (I meant the temperature). Abbey thought the room wasn't that hot today, and some of us agreed. I checked the thermostat after class and it was set at the same temperature as usual. Nevertheless it was a great class with Abbey. The room had great vibes, and it does wonders for everyone present. I was initially worried that I would not do as well, because my Pranayama breathing was not 100% today. Honestly though, it's not my favourite. But how you do this exercise sets the tone of your practice. The highlights of my practice today were my back bends. I tried very hard to lock my knees and keep my weight on my heels for the first one, which is very challenging for me. I still have to find that balance as I tend to lose an inch or so of depth whenever I lock my knees. I was very pleased with my Camel Pose. I am trying to arch my back more and more each day. I couldn't see myself in the mirror, so I don't know if my thighs are getting close to being perpendicular to the floor. My Eagle Pose was stronger today. I make sure that I align my hips squarely to the front (a reminder from Abbey a few classes back). After class, Bettina shared a helpful tip for the Hands to Feet Pose, while she's having her coconut water and I my Emergen-C water...ah, so refreshing!

Big things come in little packages. I'm aware that there are some little changes happening every time I show up at the studio. It may not be much but a little goes a long way. Some days I may take "two steps back", but that's just my body telling me to back off a little. As much as much as I would like to do well each time, the reality is I may not. Yoga is a reality check. It humbles you, it keeps you grounded, but at the same time, it also celebrates your talents. You are unique and special in your own way. Namaste.

No comments: