Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 20 = Pulled Muscle Eclipses The Half Moon

Day 20 - April 20, 2010 - 6:00AM with David

My day started off on the wrong foot. As I opened the car door to get in, I pulled a muscle on my left side, under my shoulder. It hurt whenever I took a breath, so I thought, "Oh my, I'm done for today." True enough, my Half Moon was painful. I hardly made even a quarter crescent, or an eighth crescent. Standing Head to Knee was painful too. I tried to extend my legs but my body said, "Enough! Back off!" I was relieved that I was able to do the rest of the standing series. My Eagle, Balancing Stick, Tree and Toe Stand were great. Thank goodness.

The floor series postures were kind to me today. By this time, my pulled muscle must have had the time to recuperate. My Cobra is still very strong, and I felt my belly button staying put on the floor. My Locust, Full Locust and Floor Bow were good. I have more control of my Full Locust; I took a quick peek at myself and saw my chest and a little of my mid-section. Yay!

It was a treat to have David as our instructor this morning. I've only been to just one class of his and this was last year, when I had just made the commitment to Bikram Yoga practice. He made us hold a few extra seconds to some of the postures; some of us are so used to the dialogue that we would sometimes get out of the posture too soon. Those extra seconds kept us on our toes.

As I am typing this I hardly feel the pain to my side anymore. By committing to my practice this morning I now know that even with this kind of pain I can still do the postures albeit with some restraint. I still felt the same high after class as if I was 100% well. That's the beauty of yoga. Namaste.

No comments: