Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 25 (Sabado de Gloria) - The Best Day Ever!

I decided to bite the bullet and go to the 7:00AM class with only 1/2 hour to spare after class is over before my shift starts. I ran images of how I am going to manage that 1/2 hour: quick final Savasana, quick shower, no hair drying (luckily I am blessed with hair that does not need to be blow-dried in order for it to look presentable!), no chit-chatting, quick dressing, then a safe 10 minute drive to work. SUCCESS! I had 5 minutes to spare so I was able to grab a coffee.

I had the best practice in the challenge ever today! I did fall out a few times during the Balancing Series. I was not perfect, not competition level perfect anyway. The reason why I thought today's practice was the best one out of the 25 was because I tried VERY HARD to do the postures the RIGHT WAY. Bikram said, "There is no yoga-DO, only yoga-TRY". And yoga-TRY I did!

There are a few postures which I am STILL trying to progress on. Sometimes, a lightbulb turns on as I figure out ways to improve on them. Let me give you a rundown on those postures:

Half Moon:

Challenge: I always find it tricky to ensure my hips and shoulders are facing forward, like a flower petal blooming, and not twisted to the side.
Lightbulb Moment: I look at my hands while I am pushing my hips to the side. I found that my hips and shoulders stay where they should be. I also make sure that the body weight is on the HEELS.

Standing Bow Pulling Pose:

Challenge: Keeping the body parallel to the floor and the chin touching the shoulder, trying hard not to fall out of the posture.
Lightbulb Moment: Keeping weight on the big toe of the standing foot; stretching the arm up with chin up and keeping it strong and straight as if to touch the mirror as the body goes down; as you stretch forward keep kicking UP and BACK in order to counter balance the forward motion...thanks, Ida!

Balancing Stick:

Challenge: Maintaining the letter "T" form and not a broken umbrella.
Lightbulb Moment: Like the Standing Bow Pulling Pose, arms should be straight up, chin up, and as you go down keep the strong stretch forward and do not let your arms dangle. Keep the toes of the raised leg pointed and pigeon-toed (I got this tip from attending the late Ren Soriano's posture clinic two years ago), eyes looking straight at the toes of the standing foot in the mirror. I found that as long as I keep my arms strong and straight, I can keep my balance.

I highly recommend Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class book (the "blue book"). It presents the perspectives of the seasoned practitioner and as well as the beginner. It is my Bible :)

So I was told I am over the hump. Yes, I am. But I do welcome humps once in a while. They are good for grounding the ego. Namaste.

Good night, Mommy. I love you.

No comments: